A glimpse into the Mind of Adam Sill
"Never forget what you are. For surely the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Fool's Masquerade

The room is filled with countless men and women donning masks upon their faces as they dance through the evening. Men snatch their lovers in the candle light and waltz across the dance floor. The women flaunt themselves before the men, sensuously. I enter alone. It is dark, and if it were not for the faint light of the candles I would not be able to find my way. I feel alone as I watch young couples display their passion before the entire room. I find a young woman who is sitting alone at the bar. It is dark and I can barely make out what she looks like. I strike up a conversation. She seems disinterested. I ask her to dance and she laughs in my face. She turns to another young man, grabs his hand and drags him out to the dance floor. I see a group of men sitting around a table playing cards. I join them. Perhaps I will not find love on this night. A friend will do for now. I talk to the men and we immediately connect. We laugh and joke as we play cards. But as time goes on I see them, one by one, get up and report to young ladies and spend the rest of their evenings with them. I am alone at the table when I see a spotlight aim its bright light towards a stage.
A microphone stands alone on the stage. Within minutes, out walks a young woman. The most beautiful young woman I have ever laid eyes on. She has long, wavy brown hair, and blue eyes that pierce into my very soul. She sings an entrancing song, and I am swept away from the party for a moment.
I am sailing through the clouds on a dark night. The moon is big and the stars are bright. She captures my heart within her hands, and I want to have the courage to ask her to dance.
The song ends, and she walks back off stage. I am back at the party. I wish to find the girl, but I search for hours with little hope. Then I find another young woman standing alone, staring at me. She is not as beautiful as the singing girl, but she is still pretty. I ask her to dance. She says yes. As we dance I hear another song begin to play. My attention is drawn to the stage as I see the singing girl begin to preform once more in the spotlight.
I become lost in the song. I forget about the girl I am dancing with, and watch the singing girl. The song ends, and I notice that the girl I am dancing with has found a new partner. I make my way to the stage, where the singing girl is standing. She catches my gaze and returns it. In an instant I feel as if we have been together for years. Her eyes read my mind and she knows that I want her. I open my mouth to speak, but I begin to stutter. She does not take her eyes off of me. But I feel as if I am a small turtle staring into the vast blue sea. Worthless, and expendable. I excuse myself and leave. The singing girl reports back to her microphone and sings a new song, never taking her eyes off of me.
I search the ballroom for a new dancing partner. Rejected by every girl I see, I look back to the stage. The girl is now singing a duet with a young, handsome man. I have missed my chance. I stop searching for a partner, and sit alone. A young couple who look very much in love, dance near me. The man leaves, and the girl spots me sitting alone. She sits with me and we talk for a long time. She is a beautiful young woman with light brown hair and brown eyes. She is witty, cute, charming, and clever. I ask her to dance. She says yes. As we dance I feel myself begin to fall for her, and she for me. Then, without realizing how far I have come so quickly, she kisses me. But then I look back to the stage and the singing girl is preforming alone again. I look away from her and back to the girl I am dancing with. But I cannot get the singing girl out of my mind.
The girl I am dancing with begins to cry. Her old partner returns. She is confused, so I let her go.
Alone again, I sit and watch the girls I have met throughout the night, all dancing, all happy.
The girl on the stage continues to sing. We make eye contact again and she smiles. I get to my feet and make my way to the stage, never taking my eyes off of her. I will not settle for anyone else. I will ask her to dance.

1 comment:

  1. The singing girl is precious. I will pray for you to find God's will through your friendship with her. Whether you ever dance with her or not...to be in God's will is when the music lasts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...