A glimpse into the Mind of Adam Sill
"Never forget what you are. For surely the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Christian Church Vs. The World

During the past few weeks I have felt so... Sad. I'd been in and out of the word. Praying every other day when the world delivered me a platter of dog crap. Something was missing. Eventually I realized that it was the lack of studying God's word, so I forced myself to read more. I started reading through Psalms, which is a great book, however, it seems that the words seem so redundant. In no way am I saying that it is worthless. I  believe that the book of Psalms draws a beautiful picture of God's mastery and His glory. However, I needed something that didn't sound exactly like the same three songs that we sing at church on sundays and wednesdays. I found myself merely skimming over the words until and not processing them correctly.

Recently, I had been living with the false mindset that I have to give up all hopes and dreams in order to become a follower of God. The reason for this is because I had just finished reading a book called Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller. The book deals with idols and the dangers that they impose. The book made me wary of all possible idols. I was afraid to watch TV or be too focused on writing. I was afraid to spur on any romantic relationships with any girls (Not that I didn't flirt with the really pretty ones). I thought that I was living my life for God when in reality I wasn't really living my life at all.

One day after returning from the movies after watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 I felt the need to be... More. Life suddenly felt so dull. I wanted to create something because it had been so long since I had let myself sit down and create characters and put them into exciting situations. I felt so worthless.

As I sat in my room staring at a blank computer screen I felt this "pull". It was like some supernatural being had grabbed by shoulder and pulled me away from my desk and out of my room. I found myself walking down the hall and entering my parents' bedroom when I suddenly stopped. I looked around the room, searching for a reason to enter this room when I spotted it. A sticker above my parents' window that reads, "'We are such stuff as dreams are made of.' -William Shakespeare"

I sat and tried to process the words in my head, and this is what I came up with;

1. We have the ability to be whatever we can dream of. It is in our nature. All we need is the willpower to do it.

2. Dreams = Our greatest Desires. So if we are such stuff as dreams are made of then wouldn't that mean that our creator desires us? In fact, it would mean that we are his Greatest desire. He desires to have a relationship with us.

It was shocking to me. This quote basically was telling me that I could have the things in this world that I want and still be a fully devoted follower of God. No way! Immediately all of my dreams of my future, including occupation, possession and romance, became possibilities.

We can have the things of this world and still worship God. In fact, we can use the things of this world to glorify God. I am always hearing the phrase, "Don't be of the world"... Why not? There is nothing wrong with this world. You know what is wrong? When We take the things of this world and when We turn them into idols. It's not the world that is wrong... It's us. In the very wise words of Louise Armstrong; "Maybe it's not the world that's so bad, but what we are doing to it."

In fact, the very thing that drew my attention back to God was not the Bible, but a quote from William Shakespeare's The Tempest. God uses things in this world to help us grow in our walk.

Don't say you are not of this world. This is a world that God created. Then we came along and kicked him out. So let's let him back in.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your heart. However, you have to be careful where you are drawing your inspiration from and what the truth is.
    I love the idea that I can have all my dreams come true. But, the truth is that not all of our dreams come to pass. Sometimes it isn't that we get what we desire --but our desires change and that becomes the new dream. God does tell us to not be OF the world, but before that he says to be IN the world.
    I liked the post and I liked seeing where you are. God calls us to BE PASSIONATE about the things we are involved in--I am glad that you are feeling drawn to live that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the "world" in so far as what God has created, is "good". But it is important to understand what scripture is referring to when it uses the word "world". I agree, as a Christian, we can use the gifts which God has given us, including the opportunities and the resources which this world offers, however, their is a warning. Paul tells the church in Rome to "not be conformed the pattern of this "world", but be transformed by the renewing of you mind. We are also told in Colossians, "see to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this "world" rather than on Christ." Sounds like you might have been caught up in some legalism. We are to find joy in the world that God has created, but that will only happen if we stay apart from the ways of the world which are subtle and deceiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the "world" in so far as what God has created, is "good". But it is important to understand what scripture is referring to when it uses the word "world". I agree, as a Christian, we can use the gifts which God has given us, including the opportunities and the resources which this world offers, however, their is a warning. Paul tells the church in Rome to "not be conformed the pattern of this "world", but be transformed by the renewing of you mind. We are also told in Colossians, "see to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this "world" rather than on Christ." Sounds like you might have been caught up in some legalism. We are to find joy in the world that God has created, but that will only happen if we stay apart from the ways of the world which are subtle and deceiving.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...