A glimpse into the Mind of Adam Sill
"Never forget what you are. For surely the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

C = Cast Away

Cast Away
Directed By: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt
Rated PG-13 for Some Intense Images and Action Sequences

WARNING!!! Spoiler Alert... If you have not seen this film, I suggest you watch the movie before reading this blog. Otherwise, Enjoy!

Cast Away is the story of a FedEx Executive named Chuck Noland (Hanks)who survived a plane crash and is stranded on an island with nothing but a few FedEx boxes that contain different objects that he uses for survival. He lives on the island for 4 years with no company except for a Volleyball with a painted face named Wilson before he is finally able to build a raft and escape

I am very excited about writing this blog because I feel that of all the characters I have written about so far in this blog series, I can relate to Chuck Noland the most. Over the past few years I have turned away from the Lord and from my friends and family. I had pushed people away for so long that before I realized it, I was stranded on a beach, all by myself. We become so prideful and so self reliant that we sometimes push others away and eventually we are completely isolated.


I had pushed people away and eventually I felt as if I was completely alone. I didn't have any friends that I felt that I could talk to about my problems. I mean, I had freinds, I just did not feel that close to them because I was pushing them away. I felt like I was so useless and that it would be more of a benefit to God's kingdom to remove me from this Earth. I've caused so much pain and anxiety in my family. How can I call myself a servant of God, when I refuse to serve him? Nothing I do glorifies God. So maybe everyone would be better off if I just ceased to exist.

I know that this is somewhat melodramatic to you, but when in my shoes where nothing you do is right, this is a rational thought. So, please don't roll your eyes when you read this blog.

I literally prayed to God to just remove me from all existence. No Heaven, No Hell. Nothing. My mind, and soul would never exist. Maybe I was already in that position. Think about it. I had removed God, and everyone who is dear to me from my life. So what is left to define me? I was sitting on a beach talking to a volleyball. But then, God gave me a chance. A "sail" if you will. I was able to escape that island and start new. However, when I returned, everything was different.

I also believe that this film shows us that we must use the gifts that God has given us for our own survival and for God's Kingdom. This is represented by  the FedEx boxes that Chuck possesses on the island.

To me, my favorite scene in Cast Away is the very end when Chuck Noland is standing at a crossroads uncertain which direction he should choose. Regardless of what path he took, his life would be completely different. But he was meant to travel down one road. God chose one road. There were four possibilities, but only one was from God. How did he know which one it was? A symbol. The same symbol he had been looking at the entire time he was on the island. This symbol-


The Wings of Angels. God makes it so obvious where he wants us to go... We just don't listen. Sometimes when things get tough, we just want to give up and die. But it's not what God has planned for us. In the brilliant words of Jeremiah Mullins; "There's an Angel. There's a way out."

God's hidden message behind the film Cast Away is simple; When you feel trapped and alone. When you feel like giving up. Turn to God. He will provide you with the necessary tools to survive. Keep pushing forward, and never give up.

"I gotta keep breathing. Because who knows what the tide will bring in tomorrow."

1 comment:

  1. My name is Bettina Diaz, I too was moved by this film in the same way you were. I was in a difficult time in my life going through a divorce similar to the "Bettina" character in the movie. I had almost given up and lost hope myself. Devistated by the betrayal of my ex-husband, I also felt the shame of divorce and guilt for not having tried harder for my marriage. I shut down and turned from everyone too, including God. When I first saw this movie I didn't get the message behind it since I watched it at a movie theater. When I saw it the second time, at home alone, it hit me like a rock. Everything made sense about what had happened to me with my divorce and realized that I had let go of God's hand a long time ago. I was at my crossroad and God led me down the right road as again. Like Bettina in the movie, I've moved on and began using my talents to fnally find something I enjoy doing. I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter that inspires me to continue living for God and goodness in our lives. I'm thankful for your post, it reminds me of how similar we are as humans, despite our many differences. God continue to bless you and may you always find the strength to embrace anything the tide brings you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...